Artist: Olafur Eliasson Cosmic Gaze
What is art? Our dictionary defines it as a noun and that it’s: “the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.”
When the medium is one of which we look at as opposed to hear or touch I like to ask my self some questions which always bring the piece to life.
In EVALUATING Art its critical to ask yourself the following questions:
—What is happening in this scene?
Does this work remind me of an event in my own life, a fictional one? What event is that? Where was it? Who might be there?
- What type of mood do you feel when you see this piece of Art? What are you thinking about?
- Does the Artist make you feel like you are a part of the piece or a just an observer?
- If you were to enter this work of art, where would you enter from? What might you be wearing?
- Are you dressed up or casually suited do you feel you belong in the piece and are adequately dressed to be part of the scene?
- What scents can you imagine you smell while a part of this work of art?
- How about sounds? What sound do you hear? Music, conversation, laughter?
Taking INVENTORY… how these components all work together in forming your overall opinion of the piece of art.
- What medium has the artist used?
- Who or what is in the scene?
- Describe the setting, what does the background say?
- What objects has the artist chosen to include?
- What color palette stands out?
- Where is the light source coming from? Does it highlight something the artist wants you to recognize?
- What textures has this artist recreated, are they real, implied, fictional or not?
- Is the piece a realistic or abstract image?